-
August 14th, 2014, 07:42 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
604-8L's on Ebay
I think the L's are the last 604's that Altec manufactured aren't they? Look to be in nice shape with Mantarays and presumably tangerines. If I lived nearby I'd love the chance to audition and possibly buy these. He claims to have the original crossovers but I only see HF attenuation in the photo--these are supposed to have HF and MF L pads on their crossover so either that part of the photo is cut off or the crossovers pictured may not be original (or may be original for the monitor cabinets but not original for the drivers?). The price is right--will probably sell fast IMO.....
2 Altec Lansing 604 8L Vintage Speakers Model 938 8AE Duplex Monitors | eBay
spec sheet
ALTEC LANSING 604-8L DUPLEX SPEAKER DIMENSIONS Pdf Download.
-
August 14th, 2014, 09:59 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
-
August 15th, 2014, 09:07 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 604-8L's on Ebay

Originally Posted by
Phil-G
local pick up only
Granted, it will most likely take longer for them to sell because of his no shipping policy. However, if you ask him to just ship the drivers and crossovers and keep the cabs he may be willing. He's got several other items up for sale that he is willing to ship other than a large dresser--so size seems to be his main shipping constraint as is fairly common with many Ebay sellers. Those drivers are worth more than the asking price IMO....
-
August 15th, 2014, 01:18 PM
#4
HB Super Moderator
Re: 604-8L's on Ebay
The 938 is a wedge or stage monitor.The 604's would definitely benefit from a new bigger cabinet.
-
August 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 604-8L's on Ebay
Yes, another reason why it would be worth it to see if he'll just ship the drivers and crossovers and he can keep the cabs....
-
August 16th, 2014, 01:08 PM
#6
HB Super Moderator
Re: 604-8L's on Ebay
I deleted the post as I couldn't get the link to work properly...But anyway you can find the pdf in the library at the top of the page under Altec Pro PDF's "Speaker Systems" 938-8AE.
Last edited by Altec Best; August 16th, 2014 at 02:15 PM.
-
August 19th, 2014, 11:26 AM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 604-8L's on Ebay
These still haven't sold. Are they less desirable than the K's? Are they more for high power use, or just as good for hi-fi use as the H's, K's, etc? I really like the fact that they have Mantarays and tangerines, but don't really know a lot about them--have never seen L's before...
-
August 19th, 2014, 06:33 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 604-8L's on Ebay
From the info I have, the 604-8L is the same motor(s) as the K, with a new crossover built by GPA, and with a higher power VC in the HF driver (which is a 902-type).
-
August 20th, 2014, 11:22 PM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 604-8L's on Ebay

Originally Posted by
Alien_Shore
From the info I have,
the 604-8L is the same motor(s) as the K, with a new crossover built by GPA, and with a higher power VC in the HF driver (which is a 902-type).
I just clicked on the link you provided and looked at the frequency response graph for these. I know a graph doesn't tell it all but the frequency response curve looks like crap to me! If I were going to buy a pair of 604's, I'd get a new pair from GPA. According to Todd, they have a usable response to 20k and I'm guessing the low end is better too (and hopefully a better looking response curve in general).....
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks